St. Jakov's Church
At the picturesque foot of Mount Ucka, the sea plays with a sea shell – Saint Jacob's hood – in which Aphrodite born of the sea foam arrived. That is where the Benedictines as early as the 21th century built their Abbey – the monastery with the church of Saint Jacob. The inscription on the lintel dates back to 1506 and the slab is from the year of 1793, both being records testifying to the annexes enlarging the church, while the precious statue Saint Jacob – the patron saint of Opatija – with the hat ornamented with sea shells, symbol of pilgrims in the Middle Ages.
Opatija's sea, its parks, promenades, beaches, hotel rooms and villas, like the Villa Madonna, keep the secrets of many romantic love stories, from the Viennese Court to those of the common folk. In memory of a young couple who lost their lives at sea durin a storm, a Madonna sculpture was erected on a promontory. Later it was repleced by the statue of a girl with a sea gull, one of the recognizable tourist symbols of Opatija
In the flourishing vegetation along the sea shore, near Saint Jacob' church, Iginio Scarpa, a merchant and patrician of Rijeka, built a villa in 1844 suraunded by a flower garden and park. He named it Villa Angiolina in honour of his wife. The hospitable marreid couple opened wide the doors of their summer house. The first «real» tourists began coming to St. Jacob's Abbey. This marked the begining of Opatija's tourist development.
The central Opatija park is a horticultural monument covering an area of 3.64 hectares. It is divided into 60 fields and about 159 plant species grow here. A great number of them originates from distant parts of the world and is not typical of this region. Among the numerous interesting plants growing in the park is the Japanese camelia (Camellia japonica) which in time has become the distinctive symbol of Opatija.
Art pavilion "Juraj Matija Sporer"
An exhibition space named after the physician dr. Juraj Matija Sporer (in 1859 he suggested the establishment of a society for the constuction of Opatija as a sea resort and a natural health centre)
Church of the Annunciation
As early as 1906 the bishop of Trieste, Franjo Nagl, laid the foundation-stone for the neo-Romanesque edifice with its pronounced green cupola that can be seen from afar, but once again the departure of Austria postponed the completion of the building thet was designed by architect Karl Seidl. During the war itself, the barely covered construction served as a shelter for mules, and on one occasion the entire roof caved in. The construction was completed in 1927.
This was the first hotel in Opatija, and probably on the eastern coast of the Adriatic.